Wednesday, June 25, 2008

35 weeks and 5 days.



35 weeks and 5 days.
That is how long I carried the girls. They were born at 35 weeks and 5 days.

In the multiples world it is one of the first questions people ask.
Order of quesitons from a parent of multiples:
What do you have? Girl/Girl? Boy/Girl? Boy/Boy?
Are they identical or fraternal?
How many weeks did you carry them?

This question isn't meant to judge the length of time any one woman carries any number of babies - it is simply a way for us to identify with the length of the pregnancy and the level of prematurity (if any). I'm not sure why we ask, now that I think of it... I think I'll stop asking people...

You always need to consider that the "normal" singleton is born somewhere around 40 weeks. Twins CAN make it to 38, but most don't.
Having twins is extremely hard on your body and on the babies growing inside.
Most mothers of twins hit the size of a full-term pregnancy at 30 weeks (as I did). I believe I measured at 53 weeks when I delivered... it wasn't pretty.

I'm lucky to have made it to 35 weeks 5 days. My girls were slightly premature, but did not have any lasting impacts. They were little, mind you... but we're no tower of people either.

This post is for CJ, who hit 35 weeks 5 days with her twins today. She is at home waiting for delivery on the 7th, but every day until then is a bonus for her and her babies inside.
I forgot to thank CJ last night for all of the good memories that she brought back to me. The waiting, the planning, the uncomfortable belly, the STUPID remarks people make, not being able to reach the open car door and the wonderful anticipation of delivery.
I'm writing this post almost in tears. I'm so happy for my sweet new friend who will have the most amazing experience in her life soon... and I'm so sad that I'll never have any more children.

We have our happy family of 4. I'm very lucky.

By the way, here are the order of questions from people who DON'T have multiples:
1) Are they twins?
2) Are they identicle?
3) Are they natural or artificial?

Lady, I'm pretty sure they're real.

No comments: